The Broken Earth Series:
How does one face a white canvas, as an artist? When all around us the earth we occupy, has broken in two… Gone! Thus the reason for my series of paintings:
- The tree of Life: With the crumbling soil beneath its roots, it stands fruitless.
2. The bonds that bind us: Families move on. Ties have been broken as we watch them blow softly in the wind.
3. The scorched earth: The power of fire, the devastation it leaves behind and we are faced with the dead and dying earth.
4. Rain over the Namib: A blessing to revitalise the dry earth.
5. Far from the maddening crowd: Peace, beautiful peace.
6. Paradise lost: When we look again, it will be all gone, we have to hold on to what we have.
7. The eternal figure of Hope: Never do we give up. As we know: “This too shall pass.”
Artist Belita Burger was born in the Cape. From an early age, she showed her love of the arts. She started painting professionally in 1986, starting with mixed media, oils and watercolour. Belita has had numerous exhibitions in Pretoria, Johannesburg and Cape Town and many dual exhibitions with other wonderfully talented artists.
Since moving to Somerset West her reputation as an artist, illustrator and writer have grown. She has done many commissions and several of her works hang in private collections all over the world and in South Africa.